New Clients 410.263.3131

221 Duke of Gloucester Street PO Box 668 Annapolis, MD 21404

Ask an Attorney: Construction Litigation

I want to do some improvements on my house now that the economy is improving. Do I have to sign a contract with someone to do that?

First, check with your Maryland Home Improvement Commission to verify that the contractor is licensed and to determine if there are any complaints against the contractor. Second, identify the specificities of exactly what you want done by identifying with clarity the scope of the work to be performed. Third, make sure that you get a written contract that clearly addresses all work to be performed, with the time frame in which it is to be performed, and the amount that you will pay for it and the time frame of payments. Leave no loose ends.