New Clients 410.263.3131

221 Duke of Gloucester Street PO Box 668 Annapolis, MD 21404

Ask an Attorney: Mutual Consent

It seems that divorces are always long and drawn out; is there a way to expedite the process for a couple and their children?

It depends. As of October 1, 2018, a couple with minor children can move forward on what is called an absolute divorce based on mutual consent. This means that if all issues are resolved related to the divorce – custody, visitation, child support, alimony, distribution of property and retirement accounts – and are included in a written agreement, the couple can request a divorce based on mutual consent and there is no waiting period for the divorce. In addition to the Agreement, the parties must also submit Maryland Child Support Guidelines and each testify in Court about the Agreement.

It is important that any Separation or Settlement Agreement be a final agreement and resolve all outstanding issues related to the couple’s divorce. Even if you and your spouse have resolved everything, it is helpful to have an attorney draft the Agreement to make sure that your rights are protected and that everything is properly divided. To make sure your Mutual Consent divorce goes as seamless as possible, contact on of our Annapolis attorneys at Hillman, Brown & Darrow to schedule an appointment.